Celery contains pthalides known to lower blood pressure. How does it do that? Well, celery relaxes the muscles around the arteries allowing the vessels to dilate which is helpful for bloodflow. The calcium, magnesium and potassium content in celery also aid in relieving high blood pressure. Have I convinced those of you with high blood pressure to eat more celery with all my nutritional and medicinal details about it? I remember making celery sticks into ants in a boat for my children years ago and popping a few in my mouth while doing so:)
Once in a while, someone in my family develops an international craving and this time it's Chinese food. I would normally reach for the take-out menu and order in. Last night I was warned about one such craving by my husband R and I was up for it. With the lack of ingredients for a fresh stir-fry I compensated what I had at home to make this crunchy stir fry with celery and chunky cubes of Fish filet. A friend once told me that tossing up white fish with a bit of egg white prevents the fish from breaking up during a stir fry. Wait till you see my photos below --it worked like magic!!
For the stir Fry:
Fish Filets- 3
Scallions- 4 stems sliced across
Celery stems- 5-6 cubed
Egg white- 1
Soy Sauce- 1Tbslpn
Ginger paste- 1 tspn
Garlic paste- 1 tspn
Olive Oil as needed
For the Sauce:
Soy Sauce- 1 Tbplsn
Chili sauce- 3 Tbslpn
Red pepper crushed- 1/4 tspn
Lime juice- 2 Tblspns
Tomato ketchup- 4 Tbslpns
Sugar -1/4 tspn
Salt and pepper to taste.
1. Mix together the sauce ingredients and whisk until smooth.
2. Cube the fish and marinate in soy sauce, ginger, garlic and egg white mix well and keep aside.
3. Place wide skillet on the fire and add 1 Tblspn of Olive oil to it.
4. Slowly add the fish cubes and brown well without breaking them. Gently turn over until done.
5. add celery and stir fry so that the celery is still crisp tender.
6. Add the sauce and scallions and quickle stir well and remove from fire.