The summer heat is hitting the streets of DC already! In our area the evenings cool off just enough to take brisk evening walks and somehow at noon the sun can hit us real hard. But, let me remind you that winter was just behind us and we must relish the joy and warmth bestowed upon us for the next few months. It will not last for long. Nevertheless, I'm going to make the best of summer salads to cool me down. Today, the humble 'beet' has been chosen to play a lead role in this refreshing salad, along with citrus and chevre the salad comes together with a spicy kick from the sprinkling of Arugula at the end. If you choose to leave out the Arugula it is still as good because the simple citrus dressing is absolutely 'to die for' !!
Orange- 2 medium
Goat Cheese- 2 Tblspns
Lime juice- 1Tblspn
Orange juice- 1Tblspn
The jest of one orange
olive oil, salt and pepper to taste
1. Roast the beets in the oven at 375 degrees F for about 30 mins wrapped in foil.
2. Remove, cool and peel the skin off. Slice into discs.
3. Skin the orange and slice into sections.
4. Make a dressing from the orange and lime juices, olive oil, salt and pepper. Mix well.
5. When ready to serve, over lettuce or arugula, place the slices of beets, then orange slices.
6. Crumble goat cheese and grated orange jest for added flavor. Pour the
dressing over the salad.