My mother used to make Uttappam with left over DOSA BATTER. When we complained of having to eat dosa everyday, she would add onions, green peas and carrots to the dosa batter to make it more interesting. I do have cravings to eat her dosas now and then--- wondering why I used to complain when I was a young girl!!! Although most of us regret a few things we did in our younger days.
The good news is, at least this is easy to make over again. I used leftover vegetables and dosa batter and keep the girls interested in eating uttappams.
DOSA BATTER- 2cups
Onion- 1 small grated
Curry leaves-1 sprig chopped
Cilantro- 1/2 bunch chopped
Green chillies-2 chopped
Ginger chopped -2 tspn.
Salt to taste
Oil/ghee as needed
1) Mix all of the above ingredients together and stir well, except the oil.
2)Take a non-stick griddle or a dosa tava and place on the fire.
3) Make sure the griddle is hot, and lower the fire.
4) Take a ladle full of the batter and pour at the center of the griddle
5) Going in the clock-wise direction move the ladle forming a pancake. If you deisre you can make it thinner and spread it around.
6) Now add a teaspoon of oil/ghee over the pancake and when the edges start turning color, use a spatula to go around the edges.
7) Flip the pancake over and cook for a minute and remove from the griddle onto a serving plate.
8) The pancake may be served with a quick TOMATO CHUTNEY or COCONUT CHUTNEY.
You grow up the day you have your first real laugh, at yourself. ~Ethel Barrymore