It's been a long week and with upcoming weekends full of plans to celebrate Vishu with my parents, go to Richmond for a bridal shower, and then again for the wedding itself, this weekend we are planning on truly relaxing. But, that didn't exactly come so easy this Saturday morning. I woke up early to take my car to the auto shop to get a few things fixed. So, S picked me up and brought me home. Since we were both starving, I whipped up this quick and hearty Breakfast Casserole.
I thought I'd pop up this quick post to share the recipe while I wait on the call from the shop telling me my car is all good to go (fingers crossed). Hope you all try this recipe out this weekend!
Just a quick aside - this recipe can be easily modified, opt in sweet potatoes or regular pootatoes for the OreIda ones, use kale in lieu of spinach, ground beef or lamb in lieu of turkey, and the options continue. Weekends are all about being flexible, right? Enjoy!
Half a bag of OreIda hash brown cubes
2 cups spinach
1 lb ground turkey
2 tbsps paprika
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
- Prepare the hash brown as per the directions on the bag.
- Place them in your casserole dish and mash up with a potato masher or two foks. Create a base of mashed hash brown potatoes. Sprinkle 1 tbsp of the paprika on top of the potatoes.
- Chop up the 2 cups of spinach and add them to a pan with 1 tsp olive oil or coconut oil. Cook the spinach down and add this as the next layer on the casserole.
- Cook the ground turkey in a pan. There's no need for oil if you use a nonstick pan. But, if you don't use a nonstick pan, add in 1 tbsp of oil. Once the turkey is cooked, add the other 1 tbsp of paprika.
- Add the ground turkey on top of the spinach layer.
- Then top off the entire casserole with the shredded cheddar cheese (or cheese of your choosing).
Serve this with some chopped up avocado for a nice creamy side.